Element Cinema Group –
Recruiting for: Head of Film Programming – Element Cinemas
Element Cinemas is Ireland’s leading art house exhibitors which operates the Light House Cinema in Dublin and Pálás cinema in Galway and is part of Element Pictures, the production company whose films include THE FAVOURITE, ROOM, and THE GUARD. We are looking to recruit an experienced Head of Film Programming.
It is an exciting role with the principal responsibility of acquiring and scheduling films in line with the Element Cinema brand.
As Head of Programming you will be responsible for all programming – current films, retrospectives, and alternative content for Light House Dublin, Pálás Galway, and our sister VOD platform Volta.ie
Daily duties include tracking forthcoming new films in line with programming policy, negotiating commercial terms with distributors, taking responsibility for scheduling of films, holdovers, and on-sale dates.
As Head of Programming, you will work closely with the marketing department to ensure that films are being advertised correctly and in a timely manner.
Working with a fantastic management team and a positive company culture, there will be lots of scope to develop initiatives. The position offers an excellent platform to further develop a variety of management skills
- Engagement with distributors to acquire programming that will maximise audience appeal in line with programming policy and on sound commercial terms.
- Manage programme scheduling and ticket sales in conjunction with cinema venues.
- Manage relationships with distributors; seek opportunities from distributors to extend offering in cinemas – e.g. special screenings, bespoke marketing opportunities.
- Be the ambassador for the Element Cinema brand – the face of Element Cinema – media engagement, hosting panel, and Q&As in venue and beyond.
- Ensuring that the backbone systems (ticketing software, website, etc.) are fit for purpose and are functional based on parameters agreed.
- Ensure admissions/programme is in line with annual targets and manage expectations around upcoming releases.
- Responsible for expenditure budgets related to the Cinemas Department and for income targets related to programming across the cinemas.
- Ensure all weekly/monthly reporting is circulated in a timely manner.
- Attend film festivals and keep on top of viewing forthcoming releases, tracking festival news and awards predictions in order to predict future cinema hits and plan accordingly.
- Acquire titles for Volta (VOD platform), where relevant, and ensure these are marketed effectively via Element Cinema channels.
- Work with marketing department to ensure that they are informed of priority releases so marketing of individual titles and our broader programme is up to date and on brand.
- Form and maintain excellent working relationships with key festivals and events.
- Develop ideas of events and parties to celebrate new releases/seasons etc. and ensure customer experience is unique and fun! Work with venue staff to promote energy and creativity around these events.
Knowledge and experience:
- An excellent and comprehensive knowledge of all types of film including art-house, European, Irish and world cinema.
- Experience and success in designing, implementing dynamic, and engaging cultural cinema programmes.
- Extensive knowledge of film exhibition practice gained through experience programming at a cinema and festivals.
- Comfortable with public speaking and media engagement.
- Experience in key negotiations.
- Strong time management, organizational, and multi-tasking skills; able to set priorities and meet deadlines as well as work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Proven project management skills with the ability to take a project from conception through to completion.
- Ability to collaborate internally and externally, and cultivate strong relationships with community partners, donors, and colleagues.
- A positive and professional attitude with strong diplomacy skills and professionalism; this includes the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion at all times.
- Ability to work effectively on cross-functional teams in a shared office environment.
- Ability to learn new programs for website interface and ticketing systems.
This is a unique opportunity for the right individual to become a key member of the Element Cinema management team and to help develop and grow one of Ireland’s most innovative cinemas.
The successful candidate will be expected to work on a flexible schedule and expected to attend key local and international film festivals.
Application deadline Fri 4th April 2022 by sending a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org